Our ref: ACAV/MGT/03/2022 Date posted: 01/04/2022
Associazione Centro Aiuti Volontari (ACAV) is an international non-profit organisation whose mission is to promote international solidarity for equitable and compatible development in the world so as to reach a balance between poor and rich social realities. Its cooperation projects for development are based on the values of sustainability, transparency, respect, accountability and reciprocity. ACAV operates according to the principles of equality, non-discrimination and impartiality by adopting the same approach towards all individuals and institutions with whom it interacts.
ACAV operates in close cooperation with local governments and development partners to support high impact, sustainable and replicable development initiatives that transform lives and communities in the hardest to reach rural areas of the developing countries. By adopting a holistic approach which links development and humanitarian response, ACAV intervenes in different sectors, including livelihood and agriculture, water and sanitation, vocational and skills development, environmental protection and conservation, and cross-border cooperation.
ACAV has been awarded a 3-year grant by European Union Emergency Trust Fund to address the irregular migration and displacement of people in Africa (EUTF) to finance the implementation of the action titled “Technical Assistance to Koboko Municipality to implement CRRF (Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework): Inclusive Urban Development and Mobility in Koboko, Uganda”. ACAV now invites applications from suitably qualified and competent candidates to fill the following vacant positions:
CAPACITY BUILDING SPECIALIST (1 POST)
▪ Developing and managing capacity building trainings for Koboko Municipality and selected local community-based organizations (CBOs), assisting in developing and reviewing training curriculum, identifying potential trainers/consultants, and maintaining quality control of trainings in line with Ministries of Health, MoES, MoFPED, MoGLSD, MoLG, etc, guidelines for effective and efficient implementation of the EUTF project.
▪ Tracking opportunities for inclusive and participatory service delivery, staff’s own learning and professional development needs.
▪ Strengthening the systems within Koboko Municipality and the local CBOs to ensure inclusive, responsive, non-discriminatory and participatory urban planning and service delivery for urban refugees and host communities.
▪ Regularly conduct capacity assessments of the staff of Koboko Municipality and local CBOs so as to optimise their performance to achieve project objectives.
The salary scale and conditions will be in accordance with ACAV’s Terms of Employment for national staff.
Main duties and responsibilities
Training Program Planning
▪ Serves as the overall technical advisor for all the capacity building trainings.
▪ Assess existing capacity gaps in the structures and systems of Koboko Municipality and local CBOs to design needs-based training approaches for local government and CBOs.
▪ Develop institutional capacity building operational plans and forecasts based on approved project plans for effective service delivery by Koboko Municipality and local CBOs.
▪ Support curriculum design and delivery of trainings to strengthen the capacities of Koboko Municipality and selected local CBOs operations and systems.
▪ Support procurement and monitoring of training activities, including serving as training activities overseer, tracking expenditures, and maintaining good working relationships between ACAV, Municipality and service providers.
Capacity Building Implementation and Capacity Development
▪ Lead the implementation of EUTF capacity building activities in line with the approved EUTF projects, ACAV and Koboko Municipality capacity building frameworks.
▪ Set standards and oversee quality control in the design and delivery of trainings as well as supporting ACAV and Koboko Municipality to meet their project commitments.
▪ Working closely with the Project Manager, Human Resource Specialist and other project staff to support the Municipality and selected CBOs in developing their strategic and development plans.
▪ Assist ACAV, Koboko Municipality and local CBOs to develop their capacity building operational plans, track progress of implementation and advise on the allocation of capacity building and system strengthening resources.
▪ Aggregate, analyse and disseminate lessons-learned and best practices from capacity building and system strengthening efforts in line with the EUTF monitoring and learning system.
▪ Ensure that project resources are used effectively and transparently to further the objectives and the goal of the projects.
▪ Work closely with the existing or new structures established and supported by Koboko Municipality to implement the different EUTF project activities.
▪ Liaise with other stakeholders involved in capacity building trainings and those implementing EU funded projects in Koboko, West Nile sub region, nationally and internationally within the broad EUTF programme and CRRF to harness synergies and maximise impact.
▪ Work in collaboration with Project Manager and other staff to design strategies to sustain capacity building initiatives (including trainings, coaching, mentorship, learning and proposal development) to benefit ACAV, Koboko Municipality and local CBOs.
▪ Identify needs and oversee the production of specific capacity building tools to assess institutional capacities.
▪ Support the Grants Department in building and identifying ways to better integrate and grow capacity building approaches within grants management systems for ACAV, Koboko Municipality and local CBOs.
Effective coordination and networking with Koboko Municipality and other stakeholders
▪ In collaboration with Koboko Municipality structures, coordinate, support and facilitate monthly, quarterly, bi-annual and annual meetings.
▪ Establish and maintain cordial and professional relations with local partners including municipal division officials, refugee leadership structures, CBOs, etc.
▪ Participate in relevant local, sub-national, national and regional fora as and when necessary to ensure that refugee concerns are incorporated in development plans and frameworks.
▪ Coordinate and implement decisions and recommendations generated from capacity assessment reports and monitor progress in service delivery.
▪ Represent ACAV in external stakeholder meetings, advocacy and lobbying.
▪ In coordination with the Project Manager, be responsible for organizing multi-stakeholder meetings including the EUTF project phase-out meeting.
Monitoring and Reporting
▪ Contribute to Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning system under the approved EUTF projects.
▪ Liaise with Senior Communication and Visibility Officer and Senior MEAL Officer to produce knowledge and information products such as M&E tools, reports, success stories, photographs, IEC materials, video clips and documentaries of activities undertaken by ACAV, Koboko Municipality and local CBOs.
▪ Support in resource mobilization including development of new project proposals by ACAV and Koboko Municipality to address emerging needs for refugees and host communities.
▪ Technically support Koboko Municipality in the preparation of its EUTF project progress reports in close collaboration with the Senior MEAL Officer, Municipal Statistician and other staff.
Experience and Professional requirements
• Minimum of five (5) years’ direct work experience for a Master’s degree holder and eight (8) years for a Bachelor’s Degree holder in a senior or expert position related to capacity building in busy organizations or government is required.
• Previous experience of working in a multi sectoral humanitarian and development nexus with organizations and government is highly desirable.
▪ Familiarity with the project area or West Nile sub region including fluency in one or more of the local languages spoken in Koboko will be an asset.
▪ Demonstrated ability to design capacity building strategies based on clear needs identification and understanding of the operating context and experience of local governments and CBOs/CSOs.
• Proven experience in designing and managing capacity building programs for local governments and NGOs to improve quality, efficiency, effectiveness and sustainability in service delivery is desirable.
• Previous experience of implementing projects funded by the European Union is desirable.
• Demonstrated skills in delivering multi-sectoral capacity building trainings in conflict sensitive and multicultural environment.
Skills and Competencies required
• Must be results-oriented and a good team player able to collaborate with diverse stakeholders • Must possess excellent communication skills • Be a person of integrity, high degree of discretion and confidentiality • Good inter-personal, negotiation and problem-solving skills • Excellent time management to handle multiple tasks, priorities and meet deadlines.
• High level proficiency in MS Office is a MUST. Knowledge of information management systems such as ODK, Kobo, Collect, Activity Info, etc. is an added advantage • Excellent planning and programme management skills • Willingness and flexibility to occasionally work outside of regular working hours is a plus. • Positive work attitude and ability to work under high pressure
• Bachelor’s Degree in Economics, Social Sciences, Development Studies, Statistics, Public Administration, Social Works and Social Administration or a related field is required.
• Master’s degree or equivalent qualification in the above fields is preferred. Additional and relevant qualifications in the related fields is an added advantage.
▪ Previous experience of working on project funded by the European Union.
▪ Previous work experience in project and programmes dealing with forced migration (i.e. Refugees, IDPs, Returnees).
▪ Previous work experience in the project area or West Nile, Uganda is an added value.
• Job duration will be 8 months renewable depending on performance and availability of continued funding.
Submission of Application
Interested applicants who meet the above requirements for the position advertised shall submit their application accompanied with:
o Application or cover letter.
o Detailed curriculum vitae.
o Copies of academic testimonials and other credentials
o Contacts of three professional and reputable referees
o Postal address, email and reliable day time telephone contacts;
Address your applications to:
Human Resource Officer,
Associazione Centro Aiuti Volontari (ACAV),
Plot 94, Moyo Road, Koboko Municipal Council,
P.O. Box 126, Koboko – Uganda
Applications can be delivered to ACAV Koboko Office or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for submission
14th April 2022 by 5:00pm.
Applications submitted after this deadline will not be considered and shortlist will be done on rolling basis.
While we value your interest to work with ACAV, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. In case you do not hear from us within two weeks after the deadline, consider your application unsuccessful.
ACAV does not charge any fee in the process of recruitment and selection of personnel. Any form of canvassing is strongly prohibited.
This position is for Ugandan Nationals Only.
For more information about the vacant positions, please visit the website on www.acav.eu/en/
ACAV is an equal opportunity employer!