Our ref: ACAV/MGT/03/2020
Date posted: 23/10/2020
Associazione Centro Aiuti Volontari (ACAV) is an international non-profit organisation whose mission is to promote international solidarity for equitable and compatible development in the world so as to reach a balance between poor and rich social realities. Its cooperation projects for development are based on the values of sustainability, transparency, respect, accountability and reciprocity. ACAV operates according to the principles of equality, non-discrimination and impartiality by adopting the same approach towards all individuals and institutions with whom it interacts.
ACAV operates in close cooperation with local governments and development partners to support high impact, sustainable and replicable development initiatives that transform lives and communities in the hardest to reach rural areas of the developing countries. By adopting a holistic approach which links development and humanitarian response, ACAV intervenes in different sectors, including livelihood and agriculture, water and sanitation, vocational and skills development, environmental protection and conservation, and cross-border cooperation.
ACAV has been awarded a 3-year grant by European Union Emergency Trust Fund to address the irregular migration and displacement of people in Africa (EUTF) to finance the implementation of the action titled “Technical Assistance to Koboko Municipality to implement CRRF (Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework): Inclusive Urban Development and Mobility in Koboko, Uganda”.
- We are seeking a results-driven Engineering and Technical Works Specialist to manage construction related projects under the Koboko Municipality EUTF project.
- You will be contributing to the planning and design of the project, allocating resources to each of the project’s stages, and overseeing the engineering processes of all the construction projects in collaboration with Koboko Municipal engineering department.**
- You should demonstrate extensive experience as a construction engineer and the ability to provide leadership and technical guidance.
- You should be someone whose expertise in construction engineering results in constructions that are cost-effective, structurally sound and environmental fit.
Salary and conditions will be in accordance with ACAV’s Terms of Employment for national staff.
Main duties and responsibilities
- He/she shall provide multi-sectoral technical assistance in the hard-ware component of Koboko Municipality EUTF project (infrastructure, physical planning and engineering works) to ensure value for money, quality and timely delivery.
- He/she supports in performing cost calculations, preparing financial projections, reviewing bill of quantities and specification of engineering and technical works along with the Municipal technical staff to ensure compliance with acceptable standards and best practices.
- Managing the planning and design stages of construction projects including contributing to technical expertise to drawings and designs.
- Preparing work schedules in collaboration with the project manager, colleague specialists, project staff and relevant departments of the Municipal.
- Overseeing construction engineering processes including documenting processes and keeping detailed construction logs at sites with the help of Municipal engineering department and clerk of works.
- Performing regular tests on materials and procedures to ensure compliance with industry regulations.
- Ensuring that the construction project is completed on time and within budget.
- Presenting construction project progress updates to senior project management team of ACAV and Koboko Municipal Council.
- He/she assists Koboko Municipality to prepare and submit technical works progress reports.
- Visit physical locations where projects are currently underway to monitor task completion and ensure that the goals are being met.
- Supervise the scope of a large-scale construction project and assess each worker’s contribution to the building or maintenance stage
- Calculate the supply details for building materials and the labour requirements and determine the cost of everything to see if it falls within the budget of the project.
- Survey building sites to determine ideal layouts for construction, identify elevations, grades and find reference points for each project.
- Research potential environmental risks and impacts from the scope of the project and develop a plan to address concerns.
- Write detailed summaries of project timelines, environmental impact reports, requests for proposals and other written statements for the public.
- Maintain optimal standards during project management that follow all relevant federal, state, local and industry guidelines.
§ Undertake any other duty assigned by the supervisor for the achievement of the project objectives or results.
Education and professional experience
§ Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering, Civil Engineering Technology, Architectural Engineering or related qualifications.
§ Government approved professional engineer license or registration
§ Minimum of five years’ experience working as an engineer in a relevant field of specialization
§ Master’s degree in Civil engineering or related field is preferred.
§ Post graduate diploma in project planning and Management or post graduate diploma in construction management is an added advantage.
§ In-depth knowledge of construction industry regulations.
§ Background in infrastructure management.
§ Availability to visit the construction sites outside of business hours, when relevant.
§ Strong computer literacy with a full knowledge of MS Office, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
§ Strong reporting skills with the ability to present complex information in a clear and compelling manner.
§ Readiness to commit and adhere to the values, policies and procedures of ACAV.
§ Strong organizational and time management skills
§ Analytic and a strategic thinker
§ Ability to work long hours without supervision
§ Proficiency in AutoCAD or other engineering design program software like Build Smart and Smartsheet
§ Exceptional leadership, project management, decision-making, and problem-solving skills.
§ Great mathematical, organizational and time-management skills.
§ Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
§ Ability to collaborate with a variety of stakeholders.
§ Strong problem-solving approach with the ability to anticipate problems and proactively suggest solutions.
§ Excellent time management skills with the ability to manage multiple priorities and meet the deadlines.
§ Demonstrated capacity to work under pressure, while being reactive to unexpected demands or changes.
§ Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
§ Actively support organisational learning and innovation.
§ Previous experience of working in support of local governments to improve service delivery, accountability and capacity building.
§ Previous work experience in the project area or West Nile, Uganda is an added value.
§ Fluency in one or more of the local languages spoken in Koboko and West Nile, Uganda is an asset.
§ Readiness to start work by November once considered
· Job duration will be 27 months with initial one-year contract renewable depending on performance and availability of funding and 3 months’ probation period.
How to apply
Submission of Application
Interested applicants who meet the above requirements for the positions advertised shall submit their application accompanied with:
o Application or cover letter.
o Detailed curriculum vitae.
o Copies of academic testimonials and other credentials
o Contacts of three professional and reputable referees
o Postal address, email and reliable day time telephone contacts
Address your applications to:
Human Resource Officer,
Associazione Centro Aiuti Volontari (ACAV),
Plot 94, Moyo Road, Koboko Municipal Council,
P.O. Box 126, Koboko – Uganda
Applications can be delivered to ACAV Koboko Office or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for submission
2nd November 2020 by 5:00pm.
Applications submitted after this deadline will not be considered and shortlist will be done on rolling basis.
While we value your interest to work with ACAV, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. In case you do not hear from us within two weeks after the deadline, consider your application unsuccessful.
ACAV does not charge any fee in the process of recruitment and selection of personnel. Any form of canvassing is strongly prohibited.
For more information about the vacant positions, please visit the website on www.acav.eu
ACAV is an equal opportunity employer!
Leave a Reply