Associazione Centro Aiuti Volontari (ACAV) is an international non-profit organization working in close cooperation with Local Governments and other development partners to support high impact, sustainable and replicable development initiatives that transform lives and communities in the hardest to reach rural areas of the developing countries.
Its overarching goal is working for equitable, inclusive and sustainable development to inspire underprivileged populations in Sub Saharan Africa to improve their wellbeing. ACAV has demonstrated expertise in areas of agriculture, water and sanitation, vocational skills development for youth, environment and cross-border cooperation rooted in a holistic approach that supports development and humanitarian response.
The organization’s undertakings are funded by different donors including European Union, Italian Agency for Development Cooperation (AICS), Autonomous Province of Trento (PAT), Fondazione San Zeno and other private foundations, institutions and goodwill individuals.
With over 20 years of proven and far-reaching experience in development work in West Nile since 1990’s, the organization is in the process of expanding its operations and staffing levels in response to growing development and humanitarian needs in the region.
Koboko and Rhino Camp respectively with regular travel to different program areas of operation.
To coordinate the planning, implementation and monitoring of projects and program activities as well as maintaining good working relationships with partners and other project stakeholders to ensure achievement of project and program objectives, outputs and outcomes.
Ensure high-quality programming and continuously work towards improving the impact of humanitarian and development interventions across different sectors undertaken by the organization.
Competitive with attractive incentives
Supervision and Reporting
Under the overall guidance of the Head of Programs and direct supervision of the Senior Program Officer to whom you shall report.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
– Support the development of standard operating procedures and strategies for different projects and programs by the organization and its partners with a focus on achievement of results and continuous quality improvement.
– Identify, test and roll-out new project and program approaches by engaging relevant technical staff and partners.
– Ensure that projects and program undertaken are ethically, environmentally, socially, economically and technologically sound & get necessary approval as well as coordination with the relevant authorities.
– Ensure timely compilation and preliminary analysis of field data into good quality reports from the different development and humanitarian projects and programs undertaken by the organization.
– Ensure that objective evaluations are carried out to assess the various projects and programs relevance, effectiveness, efficiency, impact and sustainability of results; lessons learnt and recommendations are used for innovative programme and project design.
– Liaise closely with the Senior Program Officer and Senior M&E Officer to ensure compliance with project and program designs, implementation plans, targets, results and budget with keen oversight on making use of findings and follow up of recommendations.
– Provide technical backup and support partner organizations to execute projects and programs in line with organizational, government and donor guidelines.
– In close consultation with senior management, coordinate evaluation missions by donors, partners and consultants for various development and humanitarian projects and programs across sectors including desk evaluations/studies for informed decision making.
– Knowledge building and knowledge sharing on project/program cycle management in accordance with set plans and as reflected in the organization’s strategic plan.
– Undertake special project and program tasks by identifying needs, clarifying concerns and priorities; communicating and expediting fulfilment of requirements and milestones; organizing reviews and learning events, changing assumptions and direction of remedial actions to improve project/program performance.
– Support the development of responsive, innovative and evidence-based project proposals across the different thematic sectors of the organization.
– Line manage Project Officers and other field level staff to ensure that the post holders receive adequate on job training, mentorship and coaching on knowledge, skills and competencies necessary for effective project/program implementation and replication of good practices and lessons learnt among staff, sectors and organization as a whole.
– Enhance departmental and organizational reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests and exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
– Perform any other functions/activities as requested by Senior Management from time to time.
– Advanced knowledge of Project/Program Cycle Management strategies, principles and procedures for effective project/program implementation, monitoring, evaluation, accountability, learning and innovations.
– Knowledge of professional and ethical standards that must be adhered to in the execution of projects and programs as well as dissemination of findings or reports.
– Good knowledge of designing project and program documents including M&E data collection tools and other appropriate requirements involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, and coordination of stakeholders.
– Knowledge of designing project/program implementation plans as well as use of M&E tools.
– Knowledge of group behaviour, dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity and cultural diversity.
– Knowledge of relevant policies, principles, standards, strategies and procedures in development and humanitarian operations.
– Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
Skills and Competencies required
– Familiarity with cutting-edge project/program implementation approaches, stakeholder engagement and practical implementation of development and humanitarian projects and programs with demonstrable results and impact.
– Familiarity with aid dynamics in an emergency context as well as recovery and development settings.
– Demonstrated experience in applying qualitative/participatory research methods that link planning to M&E frameworks and results-based management.
– Hands on experience in the usage of computer applications (MS Word, Excel, Access, Power point, Publisher, internet) and other office software packages including Microsoft Project, SPSS, STATA.
– Willingness to contribute to a positive and productive team environment at all levels of the organization using leadership, communication and interpersonal skills that motivate others to accomplish tasks within stipulated time, cost and scope.
– Ability to multitask in a fast-paced work environment that involves setting priorities to meet targets and deadlines.
– Solid organizational and networking competencies as well as creating and maintaining comprehensive project documentation, plans and reports.
– Strong analytical, critical thinking, problem-solving, negotiation, presentation and decision-making skills.
Education & Experience
– A Bachelor’s degree in Development Studies, Social Work and Social Administration, Social Sciences, Project Planning and Management, Rural Development, Agriculture or related fields.
– Master’s degree in any of the above fields will be an added advantage.
– A post graduate diploma in Project Planning and Management along with field-based experience is highly desirable.
– Must have a minimum of five (5) years’ experience in successful Project and Program implementation with development or humanitarian NGOs or related fields.
– Fluency in English is required while knowledge of the local languages spoken in West Nile, Uganda will be an asset.
– Applicant should be 27 to 40 years old
– Ability to ride motorcycle and possession of a valid permit will be an added advantage.
The successful candidate will be awarded a renewable contract of One (1) year with an initial probation period of three (3) months with attractive salary and incentives.
Submission of Application
Interested applicants who meet the above requirements for the positions advertised should submit their application accompanied with:
Letter of motivation or cover letter detailing applicant’s general qualifications, adequacy for the post and illustrated personal experience.
Detailed curriculum vitae showing previous positions and responsibilities held.
Copies of academic testimonials and other credentials
Contacts of three professional and reputable referees
Postal address and reliable day time telephone contacts of the applicant
Address your applications to:
Associazione Centro Aiuti Volontari (ACAV),
Plot 94, Moyo Road, Koboko Municipal Council,
P.O. Box 126, Koboko – Uganda
Applications can be delivered to ACAV Office in Koboko or Rhino Camp Field Office or Email to email@example.com
Deadline for submission
1st October 2018 by 5:00pm.
Late submission of applications shall not be accepted.
While we value your interest to work with ACAV, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. In case you do not hear from us within two weeks after the deadline, consider your application unsuccessful.
ACAV does not charge any fee in the process of recruitment and selection of personnel. Any form of canvassing is strongly prohibited.
ACAV is an equal opportunity employer!
Leave a Reply