Associazione Centro Aiuti Volontari (ACAV) is an international non-profit organization working in close cooperation with Local Governments and other development partners to support high impact, sustainable and replicable development initiatives that transform lives and communities in the hardest to reach rural areas of the developing countries.
Its overarching goal is working for equitable, inclusive and sustainable development to inspire underprivileged populations in Sub Saharan Africa to improve their wellbeing. ACAV has demonstrated expertise in areas of agriculture, water and sanitation, vocational skills development for youth, environment and cross-border cooperation rooted in a holistic approach that supports development and humanitarian response.
The organization’s undertakings are funded by different donors including European Union, Italian Agency for Development Cooperation (AICS), Autonomous Province of Trento (PAT), Fondazione San Zeno and other private foundations, institutions and goodwill individuals.
With over 20 years of proven and far-reaching experience in development work in West Nile since 1990’s, the organization is in the process of expanding its operations and staffing levels in response to growing development and humanitarian needs in the region.
Koboko with regular visits to other field offices.
To promote corporate values and enable organization success through human resource management, including job design, recruitment, performance management, training & development, employment cycle changes,talent management, retention and discipline.
Competitive with attractive incentives
Supervision and Reporting
Under the overall guidance of the Regional Director and direct supervision of the Head of Finance and Administration to whom he or she shall report.
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop organization strategies by identifying and researching human resources issues; contributing information, analysis and recommendations to establish human resources objectives in line with organizational objectives and strategic direction.
- Implement HR strategies by establishing department accountabilities, including talent acquisition, staffing, employment processing, compensation, health and welfare benefits, training and development, records management, safety and health, succession planning, employee relations and retention, Equal employment Opportunities (EEO) compliance and labour relations.
- In close consultation with senior management, oversee human resources operations related to recruiting, selecting, orienting, training, coaching, counselling, and disciplining staff; planning, monitoring, appraising and reviewing staff job contributions; maintaining compensation; determining production and productivity of staff, designing systems, accumulating resources, resolving problems and implementing change.
- Develop human resource operations financial strategies by estimating, forecasting, and anticipating requirements, trends, and variances; aligning monetary resources; developing action plans; measuring and analysing results; initiating corrective actions and minimizing the impact of variances.
- Support management by providing human resources advice, counsel, and decisions; analysing information and applications.
- Guide management and employee actions by researching, developing, writing, and updating policies, procedures, methods and guidelines as well as communicating and enforcing organization values.
- Ensure compliance with international, national and local legal requirements by studying existing and new legislations; anticipating legislation; enforcing adherence to requirements and advising management on needed actions.
- Update job knowledge by participating in conferences; seminars, reading professional publications and maintaining personal networks with professional organizations.
- Enhance department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests and exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Implementing and revising organization’s compensation program
- Conducting annual salary and incentives surveys
- Maintaining department records and reports
- Participating in administrative staff meetings
- Maintaining organizational directory and other charts
- Maintain historical human resource records by designing a filing and retrieval system; keeping past and current records
- Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related tasks as assigned or needed by management
- Knowledge of principles and procedures for personnel recruitment, selection, training, compensation and benefits, labour relations, negotiation, and personnel information systems.
- Knowledge of organization management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resource modelling, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
- Knowledge of laws, legal codes, court procedures, precedents, government regulations, executive orders, agency rules.
- Knowledge of human behaviour and performance; individual differences in ability, personality, interests; learning and motivation
- Psychological research methods, assessment and treatment of behavioural and affective disorders
- Knowledge of principles and methods for curriculum design, teaching and instruction for individuals and groups and the measurement of training effects.
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, stenography and transcription, designing forms, and other office procedures and terminology.
- Knowledge of group behaviour and dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity, cultures and their history.
- Knowledge of principles counselling and guidance
- Public Safety and Security – Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies, procedures, and strategies to promote effective local, state, or national security operations for the protection of people, data, property, and institution
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
Skills & Competencies required
- Proven working experience as a Human Resource Manager or Officer
- Demonstrable experience with human resources metrics
- Ability to design HR strategies along with needed leadership skills
- In-depth knowledge of labour law and HR best practices
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications and Human Resources Information Systems (HRIS), including PeopleSoft
- Compensation strategies, performance management, employee relations, safety practices, talent acquisition, and use of information in a manner that is compliant with relevant employment laws
- Excellent active listening, negotiation and presentation skills
- Experience with creating a culture of engagement, collaboration and teamwork at all levels of the organization with results driven approach
- Capable of compiling and analyzing employment data to guide strategic planning.
- Policy development & interpretation.
- Payroll parameter specification and Payroll systems,
- Knowledge of ERP – SAP is desirable,
- Excellent inter-personal skills and motivating others to work in a multicultural environment.
- Client service oriented and relationship building
- Social perceptiveness – Being aware of others’ reactions and understanding why they react as they do.
- Critical thinking – Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Negotiation – Bringing others together and trying to reconcile differences
- Judgment and Decision Making – Considering the relative costs and benefits of potential actions to choose the most appropriate one
- Systems Analysis – Determining how a system should work and how changes in conditions, operations and the environment will affect outcomes.
- Systems Evaluation – Identifying measures or indicators of system performance and the actions needed to improve or correct performance, relative to the goals of the system
- Time Management – Managing one’s own time and the time of others
- Persuasion – Persuading others to change their mindset or behavior
- Monitoring – Monitoring/Assessing performance of yourself, other individuals, or organizations to make improvements or take corrective action.
Qualification and Working Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Management and Development, Labour Relations, Public/Business Administration, or equivalent with a minimum of Five (5) years of relevant work experience.
- At least two (2) years of the experience MUST have been with development or humanitarian NGOs.
- A Master’s Degree in the above or related fields will be an added advantage
- Fluent in written and spoken English while knowledge of local languages in West Nile, will be an added advantage.
- Applicant should be 30 to 45 years old
- Good analytical, participatory and self-initiative
- Sound inter-personal and communication skills
- Ability to work as a team with minimum supervision
- Computer literacy is a pre-requisite (MS Word, Excel or equivalent).
The successful candidate will be awarded a renewable contract of One (1) year with an initial probation period of three (3) months with attractive salary and incentives.
Submission of Application
Interested applicants who meet the above requirements for the positions advertised should submit their application accompanied with:
Letter of motivation or cover letter detailing applicant’s general qualifications, adequacy for the post and illustrated personal experience.
Detailed curriculum vitae showing previous positions and responsibilities held.
Copies of academic testimonials and other credentials
Contacts of three professional and reputable referees
Postal address and reliable day time telephone contacts of the applicant
Address your applications to:
Associazione Centro Aiuti Volontari (ACAV),
Plot 94, Moyo Road, Koboko Municipal Council,
P.O. Box 126, Koboko – Uganda
Applications can be delivered to ACAV Office in Koboko or Rhino Camp Field Office or Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for submission
1st October 2018 by 5:00pm.
Late submission of applications shall not be accepted.
While we value your interest to work with ACAV, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. In case you do not hear from us within two weeks after the deadline, consider your application unsuccessful.
ACAV does not charge any fee in the process of recruitment and selection of personnel. Any form of canvassing is strongly prohibited.
ACAV is an equal opportunity employer!