Associazione Centro Aiuti Volontari (ACAV) is an international non-profit organization working in close cooperation with Local Governments and other development partners to support high impact, sustainable and replicable development initiatives that transform lives and communities in the hardest to reach rural areas of the developing countries.
Its overarching goal is working for equitable, inclusive and sustainable development to inspire underprivileged populations in Sub Saharan Africa to improve their wellbeing. ACAV has demonstrated expertise in areas of agriculture, water and sanitation, vocational skills development for youth, environment and cross-border cooperation rooted in a holistic approach that supports development and humanitarian response.
The organization’s undertakings are funded by different donors including European Union, Italian Agency for Development Cooperation (AICS), Autonomous Province of Trento (PAT), Fondazione San Zeno and other private foundations, institutions and goodwill individuals.
With over 20 years of proven and far-reaching experience in development work in West Nile since 1990’s, the organization is in the process of expanding its operations and staffing levels in response to growing development and humanitarian needs in the region.
Koboko and Rhino Camp respectively with regular travel to different program areas of operation.
To ensure the development and effective implementation of a robust and integrated M&E system across organization projects and programs. He or she will also ensure a systematic approach to M&E planning and setting up appropriate M&E requirements for projects and programs with overall responsibility for M&E related data collection, collation, analysis and reporting (internally and externally).
Competitive with attractive incentives
Supervision and Reporting
Under the overall guidance of the Regional Director and direct supervision of the Head of Programs to whom he or she shall report.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Development and implementation of monitoring and evaluation policies and strategies with a focus on achievement of results and quality assurance for projects and programs of the organization.
- Provides support to the M&E as well as program teams and stakeholders on ways and means to improve M&E related components and activities.
- Identify, test and roll-out new monitoring and evaluation approaches and design an effective M& E database system including needs assessment, engaging appropriate technical support, and supporting roll-out across projects and programs.
- Supports the development of project proposals – particularly performance monitoring plans, M&E related activities and requirements.
- Ensures timely submission of good quality M&E reports, including any other reports requiring M&E inputs and evidence-based data on projects and programs.
- Ensures that objective evaluations are carried out to assess the various projects and programs relevance, effectiveness, efficiency, impact and sustainability of results; evaluations are carried out in a credible and systematic manner; lessons learnt and recommendations are used for innovative programme and project design.
- Liaises closely with the Program and M&E teams to ensure full compliance with evaluation requirements, including the conduct of mandatory project evaluations. In addition, works closely with the Program teams in the field offices, donors and other partners to ensure that thematic, programme and project oversight and evaluations are done according to schedules and that findings and recommendations are implemented and followed up.
- Knowledge building and knowledge sharing on monitoring, evaluation, accountability, learning and research in accordance with set plans and as reflected in the organization strategic plan.
- Undertakes special project and program tasks by identifying and clarifying concerns and priorities; communicating and expediting fulfilment of requirements and milestones; organizing reviews and learning events, changing assumptions and direction of remedial actions to improve performance.
- Line manage the M&E Officer as well as the Documentation and Learning Officer to ensure that the post holders receive adequate training, mentorship and coaching on knowledge, skills and competencies necessary for effective M&E and documentation and how to cascade good practices and lessons learnt among staff across departments and organization as a whole.
- In close consultation with senior management, coordinates evaluation missions by donors, partners and consultants for various development and humanitarian projects and programs across sectors including desk evaluations/studies for informed decision making by stakeholders.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in seminars and skills enhancement opportunities; benchmarking with other partner organizations, reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks and participating in professional associations to benefit the organization.
- Enhances department and organization reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Perform any other functions/activities as requested by Senior Management from time to time.
- Advanced knowledge of M&E strategies, principles and procedures for effective monitoring, evaluation, accountability, research and learning as well as innovations.
- Knowledge of professional and ethical standards that must be adhered to in the execution of M&E activities and dissemination of findings or reports.
- Good knowledge of designing M&E data collection tools and other appropriate requirements involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, and coordination of people.
- Knowledge of designing M&E plans, training curriculum for individuals and groups and the measurement of M&E outcomes.
- Knowledge of group behaviour, dynamics, societal trends and influences, human migrations, ethnicity and cultural diversity.
- Knowledge of relevant equipment, policies and procedures to promote effective protection of people, data, property and organization.
- Knowledge on use of M&E data to enhance effective communication and visibility of organization undertakings.
- Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
Skills and Competencies required
- Familiarity with cutting-edge M&E methodologies, designing logical results frameworks and practical implementation of impact evaluations of development and humanitarian projects and programs.
- Demonstrated experience in applying qualitative/participatory research methods; linking planning to M&E frameworks and results-based approaches.
- Hands on experience in the usage of computer applications (MS Word, Excel, Access, Power point, Publisher, internet) and office software packages including handling of web-based management systems.
- Proficiency in using statistical analysis software like SPSS, STATA, Excel), qualitative data analysis software and rendering M&E results using different media.
- Proven experience in setting up M&E data base systems and performance standards for self, others and the organizations as a whole to make continuous quality improvements and organizational learning.
- Willingness to contribute to a positive and productive team environment at all levels of the organization using leadership, communication and interpersonal skills that motivate others to accomplish tasks within stipulated time, cost and scope.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment, set priorities and meet deadlines.
- Ability to synthesize large and complex information and communicate it effectively to diverse stakeholders with attention to detail.
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, problem-solving, negotiation, presentation and decision-making skills.
Education & Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Statistics, Economics, Social Sciences, Monitoring and Evaluation or related field.
- Master’s degree in any of the above fields is an added advantage.
- A post graduate diploma in M&E along with a strong data analysis is highly desirable.
- Must have a minimum of five (5) years’ M&E experience including in applied research and impact evaluation with development or humanitarian NGOs or related fields.
- Fluency in English is required while knowledge of the local languages spoken in West Nile, Uganda will be an asset.
- Applicant should be 27 to 40 years old
The successful candidate will be awarded a renewable contract of One (1) year with an initial probation period of three (3) months with attractive salary and incentives.
Submission of Application
Interested applicants who meet the above requirements for the positions advertised should submit their application accompanied with:
Letter of motivation or cover letter detailing applicant’s general qualifications, adequacy for the post and illustrated personal experience.
Detailed curriculum vitae showing previous positions and responsibilities held.
Copies of academic testimonials and other credentials
Contacts of three professional and reputable referees
Postal address and reliable day time telephone contacts of the applicant
Address your applications to:
Associazione Centro Aiuti Volontari (ACAV),
Plot 94, Moyo Road, Koboko Municipal Council,
P.O. Box 126, Koboko – Uganda
Applications can be delivered to ACAV Office in Koboko or Rhino Camp Field Office or Email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Deadline for submission
1st October 2018 by 5:00pm.
Late submission of applications shall not be accepted.
While we value your interest to work with ACAV, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. In case you do not hear from us within two weeks after the deadline, consider your application unsuccessful.
ACAV does not charge any fee in the process of recruitment and selection of personnel. Any form of canvassing is strongly prohibited.
ACAV is an equal opportunity employer!