Associazione Centro Aiuti Volontari (ACAV) is an international non-profit organization working in close cooperation with Local Governments and other development partners to support high impact, sustainable and replicable development initiatives that transform lives and communities in the hardest to reach rural areas of the developing countries.
Its overarching goal is working for equitable, inclusive and sustainable development to inspire underprivileged populations in Sub Saharan Africa to improve their wellbeing. ACAV has demonstrated expertise in areas of agriculture, water and sanitation, vocational skills development for youth, environment and cross-border cooperation rooted in a holistic approach that supports development and humanitarian response.
The organization’s undertakings are funded by different donors including European Union, Italian Agency for Development Cooperation (AICS), Autonomous Province of Trento (PAT), Fondazione San Zeno and other private foundations, institutions and goodwill individuals.
With over 20 years of proven and far-reaching experience in development work in West Nile since 1990’s, the organization is in the process of expanding its operations and staffing levels in response to growing development and humanitarian needs in the region.
Koboko with regular visits to the field across development and humanitarian operations.
Take the lead in educating communities (Refugee and host communities) on good Water, Sanitation & Hygiene practices, through improved knowledge and change of attitudes among the communities; coordinate, monitor and report on drilling, rehabilitation of water sources and WASH projects within the areas of operation.
He or she will also oversee community based preventative health and sanitation education such as Participatory Health and Sanitation Transformation (PHAST) and Community Led Total Sanitation (CLTS) and on-going promotion of health and hygiene messaging and supporting communities to make improvements in sanitation practices and elimination of open defecation in targeted areas.
Competitive with attractive incentives
Supervision and Reporting
Under the overall guidance of the Regional Director and direct supervision of the Program Officer(s) to whom he or she shall report
Key Duties & Responsibilities
- Assess needs for WASH interventions (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene facilities) at community level (refugee & host communities) including Public schools and Health facilities
- Coordinate the preparation of WASH project plans and budgets within the clusters /host communities.
- Ensure availability of qualitative and quantitative WASH data and information.
- Build capacity of Development Facilitators, volunteers, communities, Government partners and other partners in WASH issues.
- Ensure implementation of Audit and Risk Assessment recommendations in WASH projects and their impact areas within the host communities and refugee clusters.
- Facilitate and report (weekly, monthly, quarterly, semi-annually and annually) on WASH activities, outputs and outcomes across program areas of operation.
- Supervise the execution of the WASH works directly and provide technical guidance and expertise to the Hygiene Promotion Team.
- Line manage field-based staff, volunteers and community workers in the WASH sector.
- Ensure participation of beneficiaries in designs, and maintenance of WASH infrastructure in accordance with government and humanitarian guidelines and standards.
- Prepare and submit reports to the senior management using the appropriate templates as per request and schedule.
- Network/partner with district, other NGOs and other stakeholders to ensure adherence to government and donor requirements, standards, regulations and procedures.
- Data collection, accurate record keeping and management of information to measure progress and impact of projects in line with government, humanitarian and donor standards and requirements.
- Carry out inspection of boreholes, shallow wells and water pumps and other water supply systems to ensure they are operational.
- Conduct compliance inspection of new constructions which pertains to the settlements/host communities’ water distribution system to determine that all fittings are installed and in accordance with prescribed designs, standards, plans and specifications.
- Assist in major repairs and installation of new materials, supplies, machinery and/or equipment
- Carry out water testing with the help of other resource persons and advice accordingly on quality.
- Work closely with the District Water Department and Hygiene and Sanitation clusters at community levels in identifying, mobilizing and sensitizing target communities for water, sanitation and hygiene promotion.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by the supervisor
- Familiarity with WASH national and international standards
- Proven skills in computer programs (Word, Excel, and statistical packages)
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent skills in report writing and meeting dead lines
- Demonstrated ability to work refugee areas
- Ability to build and establish effective working relations with other team members and stakeholders.
- Ability to work under pressure and culturally sensitive.
- Experience in the managing and implementing health promotion and/or sanitation projects
- Sound understanding of a community development approach to water supply, sanitation and hygiene promotion
- Experience of designing training manuals, delivery and facilitation of trainings
- An understanding of and commitment to social justice and community development
- Experience of mentoring and building the capacity of communities and partners is desirable
Skills & Competencies required
- Sound report writing skills
- Good organisational and project management skills
- Skills in the use of GPS to effectively map WASH interventions
- Computer literacy in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Good presentation skills and ability to communicate to varied audiences, including those with limited literacy
- Ability to work autonomously and as a member of a team
- Ability to plan own work, set priorities and manage time effectively
- Ability to work under pressure and to deadlines
- Capacity to travel for long periods and walk in mountainous terrain, including frequent overnight stays in communities
- Patience and tolerance for other perspectives
- Flexibility, adaptability and willingness to take on tasks and learn to apply new health and hygiene methodologies in community settings
- Ability to quickly understand local cultural and customary norms
Qualification and Working Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Health Science, Water Engineering, Public Health, Social Science, Social Work, Development studies or WASH related courses from recognized institution.
- A Post Graduate Diploma in the above fields with more than five (5) years of demonstrable work experience in the WASH sector will accepted as an equivalent.
- A minimum of three years’ experience in implementing WASH related projects or programs is desirable.
- Fluent in written and spoken English while knowledge of the local languages in West Nile will be an added advantage.
- Applicant should be 27 to 40 years old
- Good analytical, participatory and self-initiative
- Sound inter-personal and communication skills
- Ability to work as a team with minimum supervision
The successful candidate will be awarded a renewable contract of One (1) year with an initial probation period of three (3) months with attractive salary and incentives.
Submission of Application
Interested applicants who meet the above requirements for the positions advertised should submit their application accompanied with:
Letter of motivation or cover letter detailing applicant’s general qualifications, adequacy for the post and illustrated personal experience.
Detailed curriculum vitae showing previous positions and responsibilities held.
Copies of academic testimonials and other credentials
Contacts of three professional and reputable referees
Postal address and reliable day time telephone contacts of the applicant
Address your applications to:
Associazione Centro Aiuti Volontari (ACAV),
Plot 94, Moyo Road, Koboko Municipal Council,
P.O. Box 126, Koboko – Uganda
Applications can be delivered to ACAV Office in Koboko or Rhino Camp Field Office or Email to email@example.com
Deadline for submission
1st October 2018 by 5:00pm.
Late submission of applications shall not be accepted.
While we value your interest to work with ACAV, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews. In case you do not hear from us within two weeks after the deadline, consider your application unsuccessful.
ACAV does not charge any fee in the process of recruitment and selection of personnel. Any form of canvassing is strongly prohibited.
ACAV is an equal opportunity employer!