Issued on 2nd March 2020
Associazione Centro Aiuti Volontari (ACAV) is an international non-profit organisation whose mission is to promote international solidarity for equitable and compatible development in the world so as to reach balance between poor and rich social realities. Its cooperation projects for development are based on the values of sustainability, transparency, respect, accountability and reciprocity. ACAV operates according to the principles of equality, non-discrimination and impartiality by adopting the same approach towards all individuals and institutions with whom it interacts.
ACAV operates in close cooperation with local governments and development partners to support high impact, sustainable and replicable development initiatives that transform lives and communities in the hardest to reach rural areas of the developing countries. By adopting a holistic approach which links development and humanitarian response, ACAV intervenes in different sectors, including livelihood and agriculture, water and sanitation, vocational and skills development, environmental protection and conservation, and cross-border cooperation.
ACAV has been awarded a three-year grant by the European Union (EU Trust Fund for Africa) to finance the implementation of the action titled “Technical Assistance to Koboko Municipality to implement Comprehensive Refugee Response Framework (CRRF): Inclusive Urban Development and Mobility in Koboko, Uganda”. This action is conceived to help Koboko Municipality in addressing the dual challenge of the growing number of displaced persons that have settled within the Municipality and wider urbanisation. It is envisioned that, by supporting the Municipality to strengthen its urban planning and service provision as well as by creating spaces of communal dialogue, living conditions and opportunities for refugees and their host communities will improve and the risk of conflict between these groups will decrease.
The health sector is one of the main focuses of the project because of the dire constraints on existing facilities and inadequacy of mental healthcare and psychosocial support services in the area. For this reason, ACAV in collaboration with Koboko Municipality intends to undertake a technical feasibility study on the improvement of treatment, care and infrastructure of the existing health centre in Koboko. The consultant is expected to investigate the existing resources and capacities in the health sector in Koboko with the aim of formulating recommendations about how to strengthen it. Particular consideration will have to be paid to mental healthcare and psychosocial support services in order to assess the opportunity to establish or strengthen them in the local health centre and how to integrate it in the community-based structures and interventions.
OBJECTIVES OF THE CONSULTANCY
The overall objective of the consultancy is to provide well-grounded information about existing healthcare services and related challenges in Koboko Municipality. This will contribute to the development and implementation of a more targeted, integrated and evidence-based health response by ACAV and Koboko Municipality.
More into details, the consultancy shall be oriented towards the following:
- Mapping the existing healthcare services in Koboko Municipality and surroundings, identifying constraints to available resources and capacities.
- Evaluate the capacities of the main health centre in Koboko as compared to health-related needs in the catchment area.
- Evaluate the feasibility and opportunity of establishing or strengthening mental healthcare services in the health centre of Koboko.
SCOPE OF THE CONSULTANCY
The Feasibility study will be carried out in Koboko Municipality and surrounding areas.
Specific responsibilities of the consultant(s) shall include, but not be limited to the following:
- Review existing relevant documentation (e.g. studies, assessments, reports, etc.) and conduct appropriate background information gathering.
- Conduct a comprehensive, methodologically sound and impartial assessment of the available healthcare resources and capacities in Koboko Municipality and surroundings.
- Perform a factual verification of the state of play of the healthcare sector in Koboko Municipality and surroundings.
- Assess the capacities of the healthcare sector in the Municipality of Koboko and surroundings in the light of the existing health-related needs.
- Investigate the functionality of the onsite mental health services at the main health centre in Koboko, identifying challenges and constraints in terms of capacities and resources.
- Identify the main barriers to mental health and psychosocial support services among the refugees and host communities in Koboko Municipality.
- Assess the opportunity to establish or strengthen mental healthcare and psychosocial support services in Koboko, identifying the needed resources and capacities.
- Map out partners providing mental health and psychosocial support to refugees and host communities in Koboko Municipality.
- Provide recommendations about needed improvements in the existing healthcare sector in Koboko Municipality including mental health and psychosocial support services.
While it is the responsibility of the consultant(s) to develop and implement the most suitable and appropriate research methodology, some recommendations are here listed:
- Desk review of important documents such as Koboko Municipal development plan, planning documents, area and needs-based assessment concerning health, previous feasibility studies done, etc.
- Discussions with project staff, specialists and senior management of ACAV and Koboko Municipality for relevant contextual information and project documents.
- With regards to primary data collection, a mixed approach is strongly recommended. Where needed, a questionnaire shall be administered to local authorities and other stakeholders operating in the health sector. ACAV project staff will facilitate the liaison with local authorities and relevant stakeholders.
- Key informant interviews and focus group discussions shall be conducted to provide in-depth understanding about existing capacities and resources in the healthcare sector, constraints and challenges faced by health centres.
- Conduct a cost-benefit analysis of the establishment of mental healthcare services in Koboko Municipality, with a particular focus on their establishment or strengthening within the main health centre of Koboko.
- In order to ensure harmonised and real time data collection and cleaning, the consultant(s) is expected to use an appropriate open data platform/software (e.g. KOBO).
On the basis of this ToR, the consultant(s) is expected to deliver the following:
- Two reports:
- An inception report which needs to include a clear implementation plan for the assignment as well as details about the research methodology and tools for data collection;
- A final report which needs to include at least:
Brief project description and context;
Objectives of the study;
- The datasheet or data set which has been used for the analysis.
- Graphics, tables and other visual representation of the main findings.
- Videos and photographs (as deemed appropriate and necessary
The assignment is expected to be carried out within a maximum of 20 days.
The consultant(s) will report directly to the Project Manager, ACAV EUTF Koboko.
The consultant(s) shall be responsible for delivering all reports to ACAV.
The consultant(s) will be contracted by ACAV and will cooperate closely with respective departments of Koboko Municipal Council as well as other relevant stakeholders.
ACAV together with Koboko Municipal Council will provide the relevant background documents necessary for the assignment.
PROFILE AND REQUIREMENTS
The following qualifications and professional experience are required:
- Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field such as Public Health, Healthcare Management/Administration, Engineering, Public Policy, Economics or equivalent. Master’s Degree in any of these fields is an added value.
- Minimum of three (3) years of hands-on professional experience in conducting feasibility studies, research, needs-based assessments, monitoring and evaluation in the field of healthcare.
- Demonstrated experience in designing and conducting qualitative and quantitative research through various participatory approaches and methodologies.
- Relevant knowledge and experience in healthcare sector, especially mental healthcare and psycho-social support.
The following professional skills and competences are required:
- Strong computer literacy with a demonstrated experience in handling online data collection and analysis software/applications (e.g. Kobo, ODM).
- Strong understanding of context of intervention (i.e. Koboko, West Nile, Uganda).
- Strong understanding of cost-benefit and SWOT analysis.
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
- Excellent communication skills, written and oral as well as presentation.
- Proven capacity to facilitate participation in meetings and workshops.
The following personal requirements are sought:
- Ability to work under minimal supervision.
- Team player.
- Ability to multi-task and work beyond the normal call of duty to meet tight deadlines
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomatic skills in interacting with high-level stakeholders in government and development partners.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and qualified consultants or consultancy firms should submit their proposals with the following documentation:
- Expression of interest cover letter
- Consultancy firms are required to submit company profile including name, registration number, address and contact details
- Technical proposal including the methodology (methods and instruments) you will use to fulfil the assignment.
- Budget for the assignment, including logistics.
- CVs of the consultant(s) and the proposed team members who will undertake the assignment.
- An implementation plan of the assignment and confirm that your team members will be available during the time of the assignment.
- Samples of prior similar assignments or related consultancies.
- Any other information deemed relevant.
All the above documents should be submitted not later than 9th March 2020 by 5:00pm.
- Via e-mail at: email@example.com
- Via courier or hand-delivered in a sealed envelope addressed to:
ACAV – EUTF Koboko Office
Plot 94, Moyo Road, Koboko Municipal Council
P.O. Box 126, Koboko – Uganda
NB: Due to the urgency, applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. In case of need for more information, contact us via the e-mail address provided.
Leave a Reply